Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review: Blood Brothers


I really want to be able to say that I loved Blood Brothers. The show is full of heart, and you do care for the characters.

But, I just can't. Like Les Mis (actually, even more) this show feels every bit of it's 21 years. If I couldn't see the orchestra I never would have believed that the music was live. It was all synth pads and MIDI piano.

For the most part I enjoyed the acting, but the guy playing Mickey looked about 45 and Mrs Johnston was pitchy on the high notes (she lost my vote when she chickened out of her only big note in the whole show - right at the emotional peak of her character arc).

Afterwards I found myself thinking that Blood Brothers would have been more enjoyable if they'd closed the original production after five years, then opened a modernized revival that addressed the musical flaws, toned down the many overstatements, and updated the staging.

I didn't hate the show. I was just disappointed because it didn't come close to it's potential.

At least dinner was delicious, and it was great to catch up with our friend Simon who's in town for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment