Saturday, June 25, 2011

Glee Live!

So I admit I have an unhealthy obsession with Glee. The solidity of the storylines is stuck somewhere between candy floss and air, yet I still find myself drawn back week after week, loving every moment at William McKinley High School (except maybe when they did Friday!).

So, when I found out that the New Directions and the Dalton Academy Warblers would be performing live at the O2 Arena, I snapped up tickets faster than you can say "grilled cheesus".




To keep my expectations low, I tried to tell myself that their song selection live would be aimed at fourteen year-old girls, and that most of it would be lip-synched. I needn't have bothered: the show blew my mind!

Anyone who's said these kids couldn't do it live was proven wrong about eight bars into the opening number (Don't Stop Believing, naturally). I won't embarrass myself by describing my state at this point, except to say that I had to apologise to Paul for laughing at him when we saw Celine three months ago.

I expected the show to depend heavily on its most seasoned live performer, Lea Michele. But they didn't; it was more well rounded than a typical episode. The first solo went to Brittany, who blew her namesake clear out of the water with her own song.

My highlight was Mercedes channeling Aretha with Ain't No Way. That girl has lungs! Honourable mention also to Kurt for I Wanna Hold Your Hand (never heard him belt like that before!), the whole cast for Empire State of Mind, and, of course, Blaine for Teenage Dream.




Though of course I would have liked more broadway, I loved every minute of the gleekfest. If I ever have the chance to see them live again, I'll be there in a flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment