Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: The Lion King



I adored The Lion King the first time I saw it on stage. My brother and I flew to Sydney to see it for my 18th birthday, and it blew my mind! Two years later, we saw it again together in New York, and despite having standing room only tickets, it was just as invigorating.

That was more than five years ago, so despite this being my third time seeing the show, I was still really looking forward to it.

It felt a little ironic to be watching Julie Taymor's conceptual smash hit just 24 hours after her conceptual smash flop (Spiderman) finally opened in New York!

The shows have a lot in common: immersive sets, impressive costumes, and puppetry. But if there's one thing The Lion King has that Spiderman doesn't, it's heart. And good music. And a cohesive plot.

Our cast wasn't as good as I had hoped. Simba had a high speaking voice that somehow undermined his performance, and Nala had trouble with the low notes.

But overall, this incarnation is still a good one, and there's a reason this show has been so successful.

It has a firm place in my top three.

No comments:

Post a Comment